form•Z 7 offers a form generating environment much more powerful, dynamic, intelligent, yet easier to use than any of its previous editions.
Not only can you build any form you imagine with form•Z, it can also ignite discoveries of forms that you may not have thought of otherwise. “We re-developed form•Z based on our knowledge of 25+ years in the 3d industry, but most importantly,
on the feedback our users gave us, and with the tasks they wish to accomplish in their
work-flow on our mind. The result is sketching, sculpting capabilities, and NURBS modeling
superior to those offered by other popular programs.” said Chris Yessios, President of AutoDesSys.
David Kropp, Senior VP of Project Development, added that “when the software engineers tackled
the job at hand, they had three premises in mind: ease of use, speed, and design flexibility. We
wanted to give the users of form•Z an application that, unlike other ones on the market, does not
limit their design creativity with software limitations. An application that allows them to extend their
imagination on the screen but also go beyond, to explore and bring to life unthought of forms
before. We believe we accomplished our goals and invite designers to articulate their thoughts in
3D with the most powerful tool they can wish for!”
Click here for a free 30-day form•Z trial
Here are the main ingredients in formZ 7
• You start with a smart interface that senses what you intend to do and protects you from unwanted actions. This includes automatic picking and automatic guides that assist you in drawing accurately.
• Fully parametric and dynamic generation of 3D forms that can be further manipulated at any time after their initial generation.
• A Reshape tool that, by capitalizing on real time Boolean operations, offers more sculpting actions that produce robust solid models that can easily be fabricated.
• Totally overhauled suite of NURBS tools combines unprecedented ease of use and power. The new NURBS analysis features aid in the evaluation and refinement of your design.
Powerful formula tools create complex curves and surfaces based on mathematical formulas with ease. The included predefined library of shapes is a launching point for a whole new method of form creation.
• Components are enhanced symbols that include the ability to edit the component directly where it is placed. Components are also embedded in project's making them less dependent on external library files.
• The complete interface and the tool palettes are fully customizable, including the newly introduced favorites palette, where you may place the tools you use frequently for instant access.
• Newly introduced workspaces group related tools and palettes together making it easy to switch between tasks. User defined workspaces allow for creation of custom workspaces.
• The traditional form•Z drafting and modeling environments found in previous versions have been merged combining the power of both in a unified environment. This powerful combi-nation yields long desired features such as dimensions, hatching and line styles to 3D.
• Layout sheets can be used to compose different views of a model and/or sections and/ or construction details together with notes and dimensions and have it printed to send to the construction site.
• The modeling interface has been enhanced with a new shaded working environment. Traditional wire frame, hidden line, shaded full and doodle rendering are included. Photorealistic, global Illumination and sketch rendering is available with the optional RenderZone plugin.
• Dynamic clipping planes allow for non-destructive cutting of models. This real-time dynamic interface allows for complete inspection of a design.
• The new Sun Palette enables the quick evaluation of natural light in a building on any given day or time. Quickly create animation of the sun light through a day or an entire year.
• Present your designs interactively on line with the new VR creation features. These allow you to create web ready interactive panoramic and 360 object movies of your design.
• Interoperability, a traditional strength of form•Z, has further been enhanced with updated translators and a new Rhino import feature.
Models can be animated within form•Z to produce movies for presentation purposes. Or they can be fabricated using any of the contemporary 3D Printing, Rapid Prototyping, CNC, or Milling machines.
Click here for a free 30-day form•Z trial
Image Credits: Formula Surface and Faucet Blend, by Matthew Holewinski; Taiwan Day, by As One Architecture + Barcelow 3D Paul Hunnicutt,; formZ Interface and Mongol Junk, by John Alexander; Willow, by As One Architecture Paul Hunnicutt,; 2D to 3D, by Matthew Holewinski; Metro Train, by Matthew Holewinski.